Nowadays most people lead hectic lifestyles. For that, there is a considerable amount of stress faced by most people in their lives. It is known that stress does not produce good effects on the health. If one faces stress for a long period of time it can cause negative effects on the body, behavior and moods. It can also adversely affect short term as well as long term physical problems such as learning abilities, impaired memory, coronary heart disease, high blood pressure and a compromised immune system. There are many ways to reduce stress such as taking up yoga, exercise and even the right food in order to counteract stress.
Top 15 Super Foods to Fight Stress
1. Green Tea Green tea has many helpful properties which can help to reduce stress and calm the mind. Benefits • Green tea contains powerful antioxidants such as flavonoids, polyphenols catechins among others • These antioxidants help to create a positive mod • They can bring on a calming effect on the mind and body If one is undergoing a stressful situation, it is best to opt for several cups of green tea during the day. It is also preferable to opt for black tea as well. Both types of tea are known to have beneficial plant compounds that can help to counteract the effects of stress on our lives.
2. Blueberries Blueberries have many benefits and most of them also prove effective towards handling stress. Benefits • Blueberries are packed with antioxidants which can help to reduce the stress levels • The vitamins C and E that these berries contain as well as minerals like manganese and magnesium are helpful when it comes to handling the effects of stress • If the blueberries are consumed regularly you will be able to handle insomnia, mood disorders and depression This fruit is beneficial in many ways. One can even use these berries to make shakes and desserts of they are trying to lose weight.
3. Milk You might have scoffed at your mom when she told you to drink milk regularly, but research shows that milk intake on a regular basis can help to counteract stress. Benefits • Even a glass of skim milk has good amount of antioxidants • There are essential vitamins and minerals like vitamins A, D as well as calcium and protein • Free radicals that are released when one is stressed are fought by such nutrients • One will surely feel calmer when one drinks a glass of milk Indeed, a great way to start the day is to have a bowl of whole grain cereal along with skim milk. One could also opt for other milk based products like yogurt or cottage cheese.
4. Spinach This green vegetable offers many nutritional benefits that help to counter stress. Benefits • It is a rich source of vitamins C, A and B complex • There are any minerals included here like potassium, calcium, phosphorous and magnesium If one consumes a cup of spinach daily they will surely feel the relaxing effect of the vegetable on themselves. One can add the vegetable in their wraps, sandwiches as well as in omelets or salads. The vegetable is known to have other beneficial nutritional properties for which the immune system is also well fortified by its regular consumption.
5. Almonds Almonds among nuts are great snack options when one is stressed. Benefits • The nuts are high in vitamins like B and E • The minerals that it contains are healthy oils, zinc and magnesium • It is a great form of fiber One can consume the nuts in their raw or the roasted form. The nuts are frequently added in baked items and desserts. Not only are the stress hormones reduced, blood pressure is reduced and energy levels boosted when one takes up a handful of almonds every so often.