Mold can be present in almost any place that is warm, damp and humid.
Mold is a type of fungus that grows in filaments and reproduces via spores. These spores are present in the air and they eventually make their way to your nose. This triggers an allergic reaction that can cause symptoms like sneezing, itching, a runny nose, eye irritation, a cough, congestion, post-nasal drip and asthma.
In fact, prolonged exposure can lead to immune suppression and progressive lung conditions.
Mild mold allergy symptoms are generally not life-threatening, however they can affect your comfortable daily life. The symptoms vary from person to person and range from mild to severe. Some may have year-round symptoms or symptoms that flare up only during certain times of the year, such as the rainy season.
The problem with mold allergy symptoms is that people often initially mistake them for a cold or sinus infection, since the symptoms can mirror each other.
Certain factors increase the risk of suffering from a mold allergy, including a family history of allergies, a weak immune system, living in a house with high humidity or poor ventilation, and living or working in a mold-infested building.